Friday 16 August 2013

Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo Review






My review of Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo; an award-winning children's book of war and innocence.

Rating: 

 

   5/5  

  My first 5/5 rating :) I really, really, really love this book and I’d recommend it to anyone.


Who I think it's for:

 

 Michael Morpurgo is a children’s author and this book is aimed at around 10 years + but I’m 16 and enjoyed it so much and I know adults will like it too. I would probably not recommend this book to those younger than 8-9 because it is a story about war and a tear-jerker so might upset more sensitive readers
  This is a historical fiction novel but I think no matter what genre you normally go for that you’ll like reading this book. I normally go for fantasy and there were no fairies or dragons in sight in this story but it’s now become one of my favourites :)


"I had to prove myself. I had to prove myself to myself.”


Plot Summary: 

 

 This story is told from the point of view of Private Thomas ‘Tommo’ Peaceful as he relives his life through memories of from his quiet village to the World War I battlefields. He remembers his childhood friendships, love, fears, innocence, and growing up when the war was just a distant fight. Brotherly love triumphs in many ways, but it won’t be enough to stand against the incoming military justice.

The Character that stood out most:

 

  Although each of the main characters in our hero’s family stands out with their lovable qualities, the main character Tommo was my favourite. When he retells his childhood, you feel so much for him when he laughs or cries or falls in love. Then, when the war hits his village, he goes to protect his brother despite being under-aged and his mother and best friend not wanting him to leave. He looks up to his brother so much but still had his own spotlight. I admire the love these two brothers, Tommo and Charlie, have and the war just strengthens their bond whilst trying to tear it apart.
  He shows many acts of bravery throughout the story that really makes him stand out as someone who would do anything for the ones he loves.  Such empathy was created with this character but he pulls through everything. I loved him so much that, although I was hooked, I didn’t want his story to finish and meet its inevitable unhappy end.


Why I read it:

 

  This is a very popular story that a lot of people I knew had read and recommended it so I asked for it as a present last Christmas and just got round to reading it. As I’ve said before, Michael Morpurgo is one of my favourite authors so I really wanted to read this book for many reasons. I enjoyed it so much that I’m re-reading it now.

 

Why you should read it:

 

  It really hooked me and I didn’t want the story to end because I loved the characters and their life stories and I’m sure that you’ll feel the same way about it too. This book is really popular with kids and adults alike so anyone will enjoy it. Also, the story really gives an insight into the lives of innocent but courageous men being pushed into war and having to go through so much. It shows the horrors of the battlefield but also the importance of love and friendship so you’ll learn a lot from this book as well as enjoy it.



   Well, as promised another book review with more to come soon :)


~White Ravens~
http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/10321725/white-ravens-writing

No comments:

Post a Comment