Sunday 21 July 2013

Walks for Inspiration and Writer's Block...


   On the same topic as my last post, inspiration has popped up again. I have recently started a new story (I know it's really bad of me since I've got so many ideas on the go at the minute ;) ) that I thought up whilst walking around Newstead Abbey, one of my favourite places to visit. It's so beautiful and peaceful that it's hard not to let your mind wander and pick up some new stories :)

   My new idea is fantasy and involves one of the most interesting and fearsome mythical beings; dragons. I've created some of the main characters and settings and I'm really excited because I actually really love these people and can't wait to write their story :)

   Another reason for this post is a way I used for this story when writer's block appeared quite early on. It's the bane of every writer but unfortunately most of us experience it from time to time. I wrote the first paragraph and then I was stuck already.

   Rather then just staring at the screen for hours or putting off writing for a while, I used a tip that I got not too long ago and that was to just write something you feel like writing. As long as you try and write a little everyday, it's OK to leave the first chapter halfway through and go onto the next. If you feel like you have a burning idea for that part of the story, go for it! You can always come back later and fill in the gaps when you feel more motivated to finish it.

   It's not a crime as long as you finish what you've started once you feel up to it. Another way this is helpful because you know how that chapter will lead onto the next easily by already writing it's end.

   So, if you hit writer's block, start a new small project, such as a poem or short story, and get inspired or write the next chapter whilst you wait for the first to unravel itself in your mind. :)

   I'm going to share another photo with you because creativity is in words and pictures and can be found everywhere :)


~White Ravens~
 

No comments:

Post a Comment