Sunday 2 June 2013

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown Review



   My first book review. I hope I'll cover all you want to know. :)

   The Da Vinci Code is one of my favourite books. It is an extremely captivating read and Dan Brown keeps you wanting more and more as you turn every page.

Rating: 

 

4.5/5 for epicness!

   Though I haven't given it 5/5 because it can be very complex and controversial at times, confusing the reader. Also, his writing style doesn't stand out as amazing but his plots are so gripping!

Who I think it's for:


   Due to it being quite complicated at times and containing adult themes, this is definitely not a book for children but more for adults, so I'd say about 15/16+. I will warn you that this book contains some very intellectually challenging riddles and occasional graphic images so do not read if you are easily upset. It's full of suspense so mystery and thriller genre lovers should definitely try this. This is a fiction book so the controversies and issues it mentions may or may not be real.



“By its very nature, history is always a one-sided account.” 


Plot Summary:  

 

   The Da Vinci Code is about Robert Langdon, an American Professor of Symbology, who is pulled into being the prime suspect of a murder which sets off a mysterious chain of events. A chain that could change the face of Christianity.

    Involving secret societies and legends, the mystery will keep you on your toes as Langdon, assisted by a cryptologist from the French Guards, Sophie Neveu, is hunted across France. Will he solve the clues left behind or will this treasure be lost

    This story isn't for the fainthearted and is for those who can keep up with a complicated trail and like to be surprised at every turn. It really leaves you breathless by the end! However, you must remember this book is a work of fiction and not a history textbook.

The Character that stood out most:


  Of course Langdon and his sidekick Neveu were good characters, but I would have liked a little more to be said about Langdon to make us empathize with him more.

   I couldn't help but be drawn to Silas, a monk involved in the secret society Opus Dei. This lost character was abused as a child but was saved and taken in by Bishop Aringarosa. However, throughout the story he is pushed in a certain direction by the strict teachings and his goal to serve the Bishop and Opus Dei. Some may see him as strange and crazy to be doing what he does, but I couldn't help but feel that he was just a poor boy who was lost because of his past and wanted to find peace in his religion. He may appear to be the villain, but I feel that it wasn't really his fault in a way...


Why I read it:


   My friend recommended it to me and I always wanted to read it so I just needed a kick up the backside to turn the first page and I was hooked until the end. :)

   There's also a film, which I was urged to watch, by others but you should definitely read the book first as it's so much better as always ;) 

Why you should read it:


  It's so memorable and Dan Brown's plots are gripping and fast-paced. He has many other books out including sequels to The Da Vinci Code, which apparently keep get better, and is recommended by many around the world. This novel really gets you thinking about different themes and feel for certain characters. A very interesting and intriguing read altogether. For those with an open mind willing to read something that will provoke your thoughts in many ways.

~White Ravens~

No comments:

Post a Comment